Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Erol Otus Contest - Kobolds


Because I'm probably asking for much embarrassment, I've decided to enter the Erol Otus contest I mentioned in a previous posting. In further attempts to show my lack of skill, I'm going to post sketches and my attempts at using this as a learning experience. I have no real chance of winning, but the point is I'm going to try and learn as much as I can.

My first step was to come up with a concept - I'm going to go with the "Adventure takes an unexpected twist" category. Kobolds are luring the (apparently really dumb/inexperienced) adventurers into an ambush, by trailing them along with gold coins. Kobolds lurk behind the corner and behind a secret door. Originally, I was going to use a statue to hide behind...


... but after talking it over with my art teacher, I decided that wouldn't work. More kobolds hiding, shifted everything over a bit to avoid dead space and this is close to what I want.

So my first job was to start getting better at sketching something. So I went to my 50 Monsters book for inspiration...



And this is what I came up with as possible kobolds. Yes, his name is Tucker. Oh yes. >:)


Try to figure out some hands.

And I'm getting the hang of it.

Pictures Copyright 2009, M Shorten (chgowiz@gmail.com) - All rights reserved

No comments: